Schedule of Services

SUN 9:45 a.m.Morning Assembly
SUN 10:00 a.m.Sunday School
SUN 11:00 a.m.Morning Worship
WED 6:00 p.m.Bible Study
WED 6:00 p.m. Youth Group
*For monthly events see church calendar.

Up Coming Events

Daily Bible Verse

History of Mt. Pisgah Church


The Beginnings
{source: The United Methodist Archives at Huntingdon College, Montgomery, AL}
 
The establishing of the Mt. Pisgah Church began from a group of local farmers and saw mill people having camp meetings at Snatch-All located near the Jason Holley Place.  The Aldridge family donated one acre of land where the present cemetery is located for the church.  A log church building was built by local farmers and people from the mill.  The mill people were members and played an important part in helping to establish the first church by furnishing labor and material.  The Mt. Pisgah Church was named by a member of the Aldridge family.  The Church was organized July 19, 1885, under the Methodist Protestant Church called Alabama District - Chilton County - Chilton Circuit with 20 male members, 33 female members.  S. O. Townsend was the President and F. H. Gibson the Pastor.  Later, a second church was built back of the log church.  This was built in about the center of the cemetery where the driveway is presently located.  Preaching services were twice a month: Saturday night and Sunday morning with quarterly meetings; Saturday morning preaching and Saturday lunch at the church.  Mrs. Bertie Edwards Jones played pump organ for church services.  Mt. Pisgah School was built behind the second church in 1916.  The school had six or seven grades and was in operation until fire destroyed the building on March 3, 1929.  On November 6, 1930, Mt. Pisgah Church purchased the two acres of school property from the State Superintendent of Education.  In December of 1936, wind blew the Mt. Pisgah Church building off it pillars.  Five acres of land was purchased from John Popwell and a third church was built across the road from the cemetery.  Wings were added to the building later.  A parsonage was built behind the church and Fred Davis was the first pastor to live in it.  The parsonage was sold and moved from its location in the early 40's.  In 1939, Mt. Pisgah became Methodist Episcopal South Methodist by Methodist Episcopal South and North, and Protestant Methodist merging to make up the Methodist Episcopal South Methodist.  In 1955, Mt. Pisgah members moved into the new brick building which is the present church.  New benches and a new piano and organ were also added to the new church.  The church was on Walnut Creek Charge until 1960, then placed on Verbena Charge.  In 1968, Mt. Pisgah became United Methodist by the Methodist Church merging with the Evangelical United Brethren Church, making up the United Methodist Church*.  In December of 1969, colored windows were added by members donating them in memory of their family members.  In October 1970, changes were made in the pulpit area for choir and kneeling rail additions.  Carpet and a kneeling rail pad were also added.  In July 1972, the fellowship hall and basement were added to the church building.  During June of 1982, a dream was made a reality.  The Mt. Pisgah parsonage was completed and Rev. Andy Knight and his family moved into the new parsonage to serve as Mt. Pisgah's first full-time pastor.
 
*Date and denominational names corrected December 2010
 
Additional Church History is sought.  Please forward your stories of Mt. Pisgah, copies of articles or photos, etc. to webmaster.  All sources will be acknowledged.